◆ People in isolation get no rice nor medicine
Another ASIAPRESS reporting partner in Hyesan, “E,” delivered a brief report about conditions in the city on May 20. “E” said that he had been placed in isolation because a close relative had come down with a fever. ASIAPRESS and “E” were barely able to connect by phone, but he was able to deliver the following brief report.
E: The relative had a fever and complained that his symptoms were worse than a cold. It’s not clear whether its COVID-19 or not. He is still in isolation, but he hasn’t received any medicine or anything to eat from the government. He has reserves of rice, but there’s no firewood to burn to make it, so he hasn’t eaten for two days. He’s said that his condition has improved a lot, however.
※ Hyesan was put under lockdown in November 2020 and February 2021 after it was discovered that people had crossed over the border from China. At the time, there were reports that people had died due to the lack of food and medicine.
※ ASIAPRESS communicates with its reporting partners through Chinese cell phones smuggled into North Korea.
- ＜Interview from Inside N. Korea＞“Nobody would know if isolated people die in their homes”…Severe shortages of medical supplies and food…No state rations for people in quarantine (2022-05-20)
- ＜Interview from Inside N. Korea＞ People are afraid of starvation if cities are locked down…PCR tests don’t exist…ASIAPRESS interviews a N. Korean to better understand the situation in the country and how people are feeling (2022-05-17)
- ＜Breaking News from Inside N. Korea＞ A report about the COVID-19 situation from a party member in North Hamgyung Province: Those with fevers are placed in isolation and their apartment buildings are put under lockdown, People continue to go to work and the markets remain open, People are more scared of lockdowns than the disease (2022-05-16)
- ＜Inside N. Korea＞ Theft of car parts is rampant in North Korea. Thieves immobilize vehicles by stealing tires, mirrors to sell on the black market...Few car parts make it over the border due to the pandemic (2022-05-14)
- ＜Urgent ＞ What is happening inside N.Korea with COVID-19？ The government heavily crackdown on hoarding and restrict movement to other areas (2022-05-13)