◆ North Korean citizens react very coldly
Unlike in South Korea and Japan, where expectations for future developments have been stoked by the surprise talks, North Koreans have responded very coldly to the meeting. They have a good reason for doing so. Despite Kim Jong-un’s many meetings with the leaders of South Korea, the U.S., China, and Russia, the sanctions have not been lifted. In addition, worsening living conditions have brought pessimism, with citizens telling themselves, ‘No matter what happens, nothing will change’ and ‘We do not want to get excited for nothing’.
Indeed, remarks made by officials at the above-mentioned party meeting reflect the regime’s own judgement that talks with the U.S. are not likely to advance quickly. Moreover, after the bitter disappointment caused by the collapse of the Hanoi talks and the resulting damage to Kim Jong-un’s authority, the regime seems to be curbing propaganda related to the Panmunjom meeting.
※ ASIAPRESS contacts its reporting partners through smuggled Chinese mobile phones.
- ＜North Korea＞ Fruitless Face-to-Face: Residents See No End to Sanctions Despite ‘Historic’ Xi Jinping Visit
- ＜Kim Jong-un-Xi Jinping Summit＞ Citizen Sentries: Regime Orders Residents to Guard Border, Mobilizes Teens to Patrol Streets
- ＜Inside N. Korea＞ Hyesan Heist: Police Search for Stolen Military Data, Suspect Inside Job
- ＜North Korea＞ Defying Debasement: Soldiers Disregard Orders, Hide Off Base to Phone Families
- Costly Contagion: Typhoid Spreads to 10% of Border Population as Impoverished Residents Drink Straight from Rivers